> Like most of the rest of America, I am really tired of politics. CNN had a story this morning about the milk cliff. Really? Is this what we have come to? Will we face the gun safety cliff when the new Congress convenes? Is there anything on which the two parties can agree? >
> I was listening to an interview with former President Clinton this morning talking about life after the presidency. Why, he was asked, does it seem like former presidents have managed to collaborate to accomplish things despite their political differences? Clinton, as we know, has a special relationship with the Bush 41 and a working relationship with W. His answer was pretty simple. Not one of them is running for office again and they can therefore ask themselves a more important question than “will this get me re-elected.” For Clinton, his question is this: Will it leave people better off or not? He knows that even though former presidents from different parties disagree on most everything when it comes to the big political questions, when it comes to doing what’s right, the differences tend to go away. There’s a lesson there for the gun safety debate. >
> I also think there’s a lesson there for our broken political system. How do we take away the incentive for our politicians in Washington to act only to get re-elected? How do we take away the influence of the lobbyists who line up to fill up the campaign pockets of those politicians? How about term limits? The two term limit for presidents dates back only to 1947 and we managed to get that amendment passed. How about extending that same limit to Congress? If every senator and congressperson knew he or she was two and done, I believe the disaster that is Washington would change. Given the single-digit approval rating of Congress, I even think we could get it passed. Maybe I am wrong, but can anyone tell me that the status quo is better? I am willing to listen.
- @Vaenreversa let me have your email and I'll have my assistant set it up. 1 year ago
- @Vaenreversa @OglethorpeUniv would u like to come see me? 1 year ago
- @Vaenreversa @OglethorpeUniv Best way to check rumor is to ask. As Prez of OU, I can confirm the rumor is false big-time. That was easy. 1 year ago
- I'm not sure long I'll live in the tweet world. Too much work. Just posted on muslims and lowe's 1 year ago
- The world is coming to an end. Am I actually tweeting? Check out my latest blog post at myownstormypetrelwords.wordpress.com 1 year ago